IRISH COUNCIL OF IMAMS: STATEMENT #4: Eid Prayers in Light of Covid-19
In the Name of Allah, the Most Benevolent, the Most Merciful
The Statement Issued by the Irish Council of Imams (4)
Re. Eid Salahs in Light of the COVID-19
Praise be to Allah and may Allah’s peace blessings and mercy be upon our Prophet Muhammad and his prophet brethren, his family, his companions and those who follow his guidance until the Day of Judgment.
In light of the current lockdown, Muslims cannot offer their Eid Salah in mosques or prayer halls due to the spread of the COVID-19 which we pray to Allah to remove immediately from the entire world and grant us the rewards for praying it in the mosques.
In order to rejoice Eid we urge each Muslim family to offer their Eid Salah at home.
The majority of the Shafi’i School, the Hanbali School and some Maliki scholars state that it is valid to offer Eid Salah individually and congregationally at home in the same way it is offered in the mosque but no sermon is delivered.
It is reported that When Anas missed Eid Salah in the mosque, he would gather his family members and offer it at home. Please bear in mind the following:
- Adorning home in order to make children happy
- Ghusl and wearing perfume and the best clothes. The Prophet, peace be upon him, says: “O Muslims! Allah has made this day Eid for you. So make Ghusl and wear perfume if available and use Siwak.” Reported by Malik in his Muwatta’
- Making Takbeer aloud commencing when the sun sets on Eid Eve, if Eid is determined prior to sunset. Allah says: “ وَلِتُكْمِلُوا الْعِدَّةَ وَلِتُكَبِّرُوا اللَّـهَ عَلَىٰ مَا هَدَاكُمْ وَلَعَلَّكُمْ تَشْكُرُونَ (He wants you) to complete the prescribed period, and to glorify Him in that He has guided you; and perchance ye shall be grateful.” (trans. 2:185) Takbeer formula: Allahu Akbar-ul-Laahu Akbar-ul-Lahu Akbar Lailaha Illa Allah Walahu Akbar-ul-Lahu Akbar Walillah-il-Hamd.
- Eating few dates before Salah as practiced by the Prophet, peace be upon him, and his companions.
- Extra spending on children and wives and buying them presents and making them happy.
Eid Salah at home:
Man should lead the congregation of his family members in the Salah. The congregation could be led by the family member whose recitation of the Qur’an is the best, or the family member who is the most versed of the Qur’an and Sunnah.
Eid Salah is made of two Rak’as.
- In the first Rak’a one makes the opening Takbeer, seven takbeers, and reads Surah Al-Fatihah and then Surah Al-A’la or any other Surah.
- In the second Rak’a one makes Takbeer for standing up straight, five Takbeers, and reads Surah Al-Fatihah and then Surah Al-Ghashiyah or any other Surah. One then completes the Salah. There is no sermon, when Eid Salah is offered at home.
Eid and permissible recreation:
Eid is a joy of Allah’s favour, bounty and mercy. Rejoicing Eid is an Islamic ritual. Hence, conducting recreational competition is an act of Sunnah on Eid day. It is a Sunnah act to congratulate one another saying “May Allah accept our and your deeds.” It is also Sunnah to spend extra on children eat and drink, communicate with parents, kinsfolks and friends, clearing hearts from hatred and grudge, and spreading peace and security. Our Eid is an occasion for acts of worship and kindness
Praise be to Allah and may Allah’s peace, blessing and mercy be upon our prophet Muhammad, his family, his companions and those who follow his guidance.
24 Ramadan 1441 H. Corresponding to 17/05/2020
Sheikh Hussein Halawa (Chairman)
Sheikh Yahya Al-Hussein (Vice Chairman)
Arabic and English copies of the statement can be found attached below.