Sr Summayah and Sr Amilah from the ICCI community welfare department, Sr Sara from the ICCI Portlaoise and volunteers attended a Women’s Aid training session on legal issues and domestic abuse, on Wednesday 11th of May. There were also other organisations in attendance: Amal women's group, MSOE, Immigrant Council of Ireland and IOM.
This training was facilitated by Gill Kennedy who works in Dolphin house. She covered the following topics:
- Various court orders under the Domestic Violence Act, 2018
- The court process including:
- Breaches of court orders
- Issues for consideration when supporting a survivor to engage with the court process
- Access, custody and guardianship of children
- Court accompaniment
- Legal Aid
- The role of the Dolphin House Domestic Abuse Information and Support Service.
It was a very informative morning. Wonderful to be able to attend in person training again.